LGBTQIA+ rights have long been subject to persecution in the United States. After the brief respite of gay marriage legalization, a tidal wave of bigotry ensued in the form of bathroom regulations and proposed military bans for transgender individuals. The hate hit home in Jackson, MI, where a prominent activist had their residence burned down 5 days after a Pride festival celebrating the passage of a Non-Discrimination Ordinance. The right to love and be one's true self is essential to the Metro-Detroit Political Action Network's (MDPAN) mission of universal solidarity, and September's Love is Love Rally is the place to gather and demand full recognition, both legal and social, of those rights.
Helmed by Brianna Dee Kingsley, MDPAN's Transgender Engagement Chair, the Love is Love event aims to inspire everyone across the spectrum to embrace who they are and who they love, standing together in unity against the forces seeking to oppress.
MDPAN is ecstatic to introduce a fantastic variety of speakers that cover the full breadth of gender and sexuality in the human experience.
- Brianna Reyes: Representing Affirmations and the Trans Sistas of Color.
- Jeynce Poindexter Mizrahi: Transgender Specialist and founding board member of Trans Sistas of Color Project and Transgender Victims Advocate for Equality MI.
- Samantha Rogers: Activist leader representing Stonewall for Revolution.
- Avery Grey: Contributor for Huffington Post's Queer Voices and MDPAN's Chair of Intersex Engagement.
- Brianna Dee Kingsley: MDPAN and Justice League: Royal Oak Chair of Transgender Engagement
- Sister Estee Louder Harder Faster: A Motor City Sister of Perpetual Indulgence.
- JoJess Fournier: Co-founder of MDPAN
- Stephen Boyle: Representative of Wage Love Detroit
- Robert Fidler: Event MC and MDPAN Media Director
In addition to speakers, Love is Love will also feature these attractions before, during and after the rally:
- Reiki Energy Transitions by Truth: Will be providing a free Reiki demo before the rally, along with a kindness rock fundraiser.
- Dave Toennies of Border Patrol: Singer and guitarist hailing from Windsor who enchants the crowd with songs of love and solidarity.
- Detroit Light Brigade: Stick around for a sensational light art demo at sundown.
Last, but certainly not least, this event doesn't happen without an exceptional array of cohosts providing information, outreach and even a few freebies:
- Affirmations: Southeast Michigan's premier source of outreach for the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Wrigley's Pharmacy: Highland Park pharmacy providing complimentary resources for attendees.
- Motor City Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence: They seek to bring a divided community together, abolish hatred and bigotry and look fabulous doing it.
- Wage Love Detroit: Facilitates communication between individuals in need and organizations that can help, will also be making custom buttons for attendees.
- Taking Back Orange: MDPAN's means of silent protest, will also have a table with art supplies and buttons for sale.
Make plans the head to Hamtramck on September 23rd for the most fabulous party in the state!